However, if you are living overseas and you have close ties (either family or genuine job offer) in Canberra; OR you have completed a PhD at an ACT university, you can still apply for ACT 190 nomination if you meet the criteria. 

CANBERRA RESIDENTS - if you are living in Canberra, you can apply for ACT 190 nomination as soon as you meet the nomination criteria. 

Visa Pathways

Business meeting

Temporary work visa

An employer can sponsor a skilled worker from overseas for a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work. This visa allows skilled workers to travel to Australia and work in their nominated occupation for an approved business for up to four years.  FInd out more on Department of Home Affairs website.

Permanent residence

An ACT employer can sponsor a skilled worker from overseas for permanent residence under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187). The visa has three streams:

Temporary Residence Transition stream.

You may sponsor an employee under this stream if they have worked for you in the nominated position for at least two years on a subclass 457 visa. Your employer nomination is lodged with Department of Home Affairs without input from the Regional Certifying Body (RCB).

Direct Entry stream

This stream allows you to sponsor an employee who has worked for you for less than two years if the RSMS nomination is assessed by the local Regional Certifying Body (RCB) as meeting certain criteria. The RCB in Canberra is Innovate Canberra, Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate, ACT Government. See our 'Nominate a skilled employee’page for guidelines on applying for RCB support.

Agreement stream

The agreement stream is for people nominated by an employer through a labour agreement

Further Information